Foolproof is a fast-growing, forward-thinking creative company with offices in London, Norwich and Singapore. We are leaders in the human-centred shift in design. We challenge old ideas which slow down positive design-led change. To achieve this, we work with the world’s most ambitious brands from vision and strategy across design and development to delivery to market. We also partner with our parent company Zensar to deliver human experience at scale on digital transformation initiatives.
Our Singapore office was opened in 2012 to support the growing demand for experience design in Asia. Since then, we have grown to a team of 14 and our business continues to grow rapidly. Our team of UX consultants and designers help our global and local clients create powerful and effective designs, digital products, and services based on the insights we gather. Customer experience is at the heart of everything we do. We encourage our clients to embark on highly collaborative, inclusive design processes, using their stakeholders and end-users to help develop and crystallise our solutions.
The role at a glance
We are looking for an exceptional experience design practitioner to join our Singapore studio. You will work closely with the Executive Director of Global Practice and the Senior Client Engagement Director in Singapore, to help us attract and deliver end-to-end experience design work, delivering world-class digital solutions and design strategy for our globally recognised clients. As a member of our Studio Leadership Team, you will be one of our most experienced practitioners and a leader in our business.
Around half of your time will be spent with clients, leading multidisciplinary teams to do the best work of their careers and create tangible outcomes for those we are designing for. You’ll become a trusted advisor to clients and help them achieve their ambitions through experience design.
When you’re not working with clients, you’ll help to lead our Singapore Studio team. This will range from hiring the right people and making sure that our onboarding process is best-in-class to ensuring our practices are developing and we are providing the right training. You’ll work with our team of Experience Design Directors in the UK to ensure that best practices in both locations are shared.
In this role, you’ll develop the skills of people in our team through coaching, mentoring and line management of 2-6 people. You will have an instrumental role in helping to position Foolproof as a thought leader in Experience Design in the APAC region, creating commercial value for the company.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced, commercially aware practitioner to take the next step in their career with an agency that has big ambitions and a very large appetite for fun.
Role and responsibilities
- Shape, oversee and lead on project work. Provide direction to project teams and create clarity where there is none. Challenge the client’s and the team’s thinking to ensure that we are solving the right problem and solving it in the right way.
- Grow our influence and presence within clients. Develop a deep understanding of their business objectives, challenges and future ambitions. Build relationships with clients and become a trusted advisor to them.
- Help define the best approach to client briefs. When not working on billable projects, Experience Design Directors are key members of the pre-sales process.
- Build our practice and capabilities. An Experience Design Director acts as a practice sponsor, working to grow our team’s skills and capabilities. Using knowledge of industry trends and client demand, spot opportunities to add new skills and capabilities to our practice.
- Manage and develop our people. Lead the Singapore Studio, line manage and develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours of our practitioners.
- Grow our reputation. Create long-term value for Foolproof through public speaking, blog posts and other marketing activities.
- Champion our culture and values. You must live and breathe all things Foolproof, including our all-important mission statement; to create products and services which improve the lives of people all over the world.
- An inspirational leader, able to create an environment for other people to do great work.
- Articulate and engaging, able to lead conversations with our most senior clients.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Commercially aware, with an understanding of what it takes to make change happen in large organisations.
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving, able to articulate and balance trade-offs to keep teams moving forward.
- A team player with excellent time management skills.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- Minimum of six years delivering design solutions and strategies for high profile digital products or services, preferably agency but client side will be considered.
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities as well as the ability to articulate, rationalise and document visual directions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile, as well as app environments.
- A deep understanding of visual design and how it’s applied to interaction and user interface design to improve clarity of communication.
- Experience in mentoring and managing cross-disciplinary teams, including designers and design researchers.
- Undertaking of primary and secondary research, as a core part of your design process and integrate into product development sprints.
- Pitching and winning new business accounts.
- Experienced using industry-standard design visualisation software (for example Sketch, Adobe, etc.).
- Experienced using industry standard prototyping software (for example Principle, Axure, Sketch, Framer, Origami, etc.).
- Recognised degree-level qualifications (e.g. graphic, experience or digital design, HCI) or relevant hands-on experience.
We put a lot of time and energy into making Foolproof the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits including:
- Regular salary reviews.
- Annual bonus and profit share schemes.
- 20 days holiday which increases to 25 days with service. Plus the option to buy and sell leave.
- Departmental training budgets for learning and development.
- Quarterly away days including a Team Trip abroad.
- Long service awards and enhancement to our standard benefits.