Foolproof’s mission is to help people to live differently. By understanding people, we craft products and services which help them make sense of anything this gives them the confidence to make good decisions for themselves. Foolproof has been doing this for over fifteen years.
Foolproof is on a journey, from projects to programmes. We’re developing always-on relationships with our clients and are thinking differently about our approach to shaping, scoping and delivering end-to-end programmes of work. That means we’re growing fast, and not just in the work we do but also in the mix of people who work here.
Our Foolproof Project Managers are unique individuals. Combining a passion for experience design with sharp business acumen, they have the responsibility for leading the delivery of our mid-scale client engagements.
They possess strong understanding across commerciality, delivery and operations, so are equally comfortable discussing new opportunities and handling conversations with senior clients as they are managing a plan and debating the details with delivery teams. It’s about having the confidence to have a conversation with anyone on any topic, from high-level strategy to solution design and everything in between.
Reporting to one of Foolproof’s Programme Managers, this role would suit an individual who has experience both leading delivery projects and shaping new opportunities; likely from a consultancy or digital agency background. You’ll have a strong interest in experience design and want to work in a creative agency environment. You’ll also have a solid understanding of IT delivery and offshore team management.
Role & Responsibilities
We look to our Project Managers to be competent across three core skillsets and to have a good degree of experience applying these skills to client engagements.
- Lead small-mid scale projects (< 12 weeks' duration).
- Follow agreed project governance model and delivery framework.
- Define project scope, identify key milestones and plan key deliverables.
- Create project plans, set time and budget estimates.
- Set realistic deadlines, communicate consistently to project teams.
- Drive project progress, make adjustments to plans as required.
- Manage project budgets.
- Identify and manage project risks and issues, minimising uncertainty, escalating as required.
- Compile and maintain effective documentation, including project deliverables, assets, reports and stakeholder communications.
- Organise project teams, defining a clear path and plan, minimising bureaucracy for team members.
- Communicate with the client and other key stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion.
- Conduct all day-to-day activities to a high quality.
- Liaise with the Resourcing team to identify, onboard, monitor and/or change project resource profile.
- Liaise with Client Engagement, keeping your counterpart abridged of key decisions which may impact commercials or client relationships.
- Maintain all internal reporting systems and manage the invoicing process, with support as required.
- Uncover underlying business or process issues, elicit and capture requirements, with support as required.
- Probe and challenge stakeholders, to ensure full information is captured, with support as required.
- Analyse, translate, simplify and organise requirements or processes, to ensure they are complete and unambiguous, with support as required.
- Organise and document requirements or processes, to ensure they are in a layout and format that can be easily shared with and understood by stakeholders, with support as required.
- Validate and verify requirements or processes, to ensure they map to the business need being addressed, they are approved by all the appropriate stakeholders and that they meet with relevant quality standards, with support as required.
- Maintain a repository of requirements.
- Holistically examine the impact of change on people, strategy, existing software applications and general business operations, with support as required.
- Make balanced and informed decisions that consider a wide spectrum of interests, with support as required.
- Identify the optimal delivery methodology and be flexible in adapting to the specifics of a given project.
- Support the creation of business cases.
- Support the creation of cost/benefit analyses.
- Support measurement of ROI/benefits realisation.
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings, support workshops.
- Own and develop our relationship with the client – you are the custodian of the Foolproof brand.
- Become familiar with your client's business, industry, strategy, goals, challenges and key technologies.
- Develop trust with your primary client stakeholder while leading change.
- Focus on tactical, short-term output.
- Look up and around, not just in, to spot incremental growth opportunities.
- Support Client Engagement in identifying strategic growth opportunities.
- Support our Strategy, Insight, Design and Development Practice teams in identifying new ideas and working practices.
- Support our Operations teams in identifying areas for improved efficiency and best practice.
- Prepare and deliver training for Delivery Practice colleagues.
- You’re the go-to person on a particular topic.
- Support in identifying future members of the Delivery Practice.
- Use Practice templates, ensuring your work is consistent and high quality.
- Help the wider Foolproof business think differently about project/programme delivery, IT delivery and offshore delivery, through effective performance on projects.
- An interest and understanding of how a business works – its strategy, structure, management and operations.
- Experience leading small-mid scale projects (< 12 weeks' duration), or as the lead of a particular stage of a project (e.g. Deployment Manager).
- Experience managing a small to mid-sized delivery budget (< £100k) and a working understanding of associated financial processes.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining relationships with project-level clients.
- Experience leading single/bi-disciplinary teams, mostly in the UK.
- Line management experience is not required.
- Competent user of Microsoft Project or equivalent project planning tools.
- Competent user of core Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience using at least one requirements management tool (e.g. JIRA, VSTS).
- Experience leading projects using waterfall methodology.
- A project management or business analysis qualification is not required.
- Attention to detail – you must be meticulous in your management of the project plan, budgets, risks and issues, and able to multi-task.
- You firmly believe that change is good. You're prepared to challenge the status quo.
- Good verbal communicator. You must be able to interact effectively with clients and Foolproof colleagues, building rapport and confidence in your leadership of the project, as well as with delivery teams in the UK, nearshore (Europe) and offshore (primarily India).
- Good written communicator. You will be expected to deliver a range of different types of document, from emails to presentations, specifications to spreadsheets, so your ability to write clearly and accurately is important.
- Business acumen. You can articulate Foolproof's mission and strategy.
- Confident. A strong work ethic, able to control a delivery team, some with a lot of experience and varying priorities, towards one goal.
- Problem-solving. You must be confident in handling problems, asking for help as needed, and in identifying and driving pragmatic solutions. Be open to learning and listening to the input of others.
- Perceptive. Able to identify situations where politics may be influencing decision making and/or when team members may be struggling to balance priorities and ask for help as needed.
- Flexible. You should be decisive in your actions, but also flexible to change if warranted in the future. You pick up tasks with little fuss, be it commercial, administrative, people-focused or strategic, asking for help as needed. You may also be required to work away from the London office on client sites up to 4 days per week.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast growing, forward-thinking company, and in a part of the business which is expanding rapidly.
We offer a competitive salary, twice yearly reviews, an annual bonus scheme, profit share, 25 days’ holiday (which increases to 30 with long service awards), matched contributory pension scheme, death in service cover and private medical cover.
Foolproof believes in collaborative thinking and learning: we have Smart sessions each Wednesday where a Foolproofer shares their knowledge with the rest of the team. We have quarterly company away days, where we get together to share company updates.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV along with a covering note to our Talent Manager: email@example.com